Sunday, March 22, 2009

Vagrant & Boy



Another page from my "sketchbook" (I say "sketchbook" because it's actually just a hardcover book that I stuffed and bound with printer paper at work. I don't imagine that these pages are what would be referred to as archival, and I fully expect them to yellow and age and fall apart someday.) The bottom sketch is of a man that I would see at Bryant Park more often than not. He was a grungy looking character, and I was never sure if he was a bum or just a slob. Either way, he certainly stuck out from the corporate suits that eat lunch there every day, and that made him all the more interesting to me.

The top right is a sketch of boy that was a part of class of children who were apparently on a field trip of some kind. He seemed like a nice enough fella and he sat still for the most part, which is my main criteria for a "subject", so I drew him. (Btw, I say "subject" because I don't take any of this very seriously at all; it's just something to do while I get the hell out of the office for a half hour or so. It works as a sort of meditation and takes my mind off of the mind-numbing bullshit that I have to do for 8 hours of every day of my life.)

Also, I have no idea where the sketch of the face in the top left corner came from. It was probably one of those bastards that just won't keep still, so I abandoned the drawing. Or maybe I just gave up on it because it was looking kind of shitty. It does look kind of shitty, doesn't it?

No comments: